NASA returns to LENR as a fuel of the future or as they call it “lattice confinement” referring to the lattice structure formed by the atoms making up a piece of solid metal. The NASA group used samples of erbium and titanium for their experiments. Under high pressure, a sample was “loaded” with deuterium gas, an isotope of hydrogen with one proton and one neutron. The metal confines the deuterium nuclei, called deuterons, and excess energy is released via a fusion process.
Below is an informative interview from Tech Talks Daily Podcast which interviews Laurence Forsley, senior experimental physicist with NASA, research fellow at the University of Texas, and CTO of Global Energy Corporation
New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO), a Japanese government research and development agency, has teamed up with two auto manufacturers and four universities to study LENR applications. The participants in the government-sponsored program include Technova, a division of the Toyota Motor Corp., Nissan Motor Co., and Tohoku, Kyushu, Nagoya and Kobe Universities.
Interim Report for the period of H-27 (2015) to H-28 (2016) on
R&D Subject: Advanced Research Program for Energy and Environmental Technologies
/ Phenomenology and Controllability of New Exothermic Reaction between Metal and Hydrogen
Outline of Project:
This NEDO-MHE (metal hydrogen energy) project aims at verification of the new exothermic reaction of nano-metal hydrogen gas systems and clarification of development subjects for the next stage national project, by the following works:
1) Installation of a new precise calorimetry system in Tohoku University and confirmation of the new exothermic reaction by it.
2) Evaluation of the new exothermic phenomena between nano-metal and hydrogen gas from various analysis angles of co-operating experimental works of 6 collaborated parties (Technova Inc., Nissan Motors Co., Tohoku U., Kyushu U., Nagoya U, Kobe U.) .
3) Feasibility study on realization of commercial energy devices and status study on world- wide works.
4) To hold the leading R&D committee in every two months to discuss status results academically and strategically.
Brief Summary of Implemented Works:
1) A design was made for new MHE calorimetry facility by improving/adding temperature sensors, heat flux estimation, and oil cooling parts to the basic Technova-Kobe MHE experimental system, aiming at more precise calorimetric evaluation of proposed MHE sample runs. In the reported period, we have finished ordering necessary components/parts, and some have been already delivered to Tohoku University for the system assembling to be started in April 2016.
2) By using the existing MHE experimental system at Technova-Kobe U in Fukae Campus, examination works have been done with two typical MHE samples (PS3=nanoPd/mesosilica and PNZ3=Pd1Ni7/ZrO2) to carry out multi-angle analyses on excess heat phenomena which are difficult to explain by ordinary chemical reactions.
Discussion has been done for preparing next samples for MHE examination. Kyushu University and Nagoya University are independently making own designed nano-metal samples. These samples will be tested in May and July 2016.
3) Survey works on world-wide works on anomalous excess heat phenomena by various methods are underway, for understanding current status of technological developments.
4) Leading R&D Committee meetings: The first LRDC meeting was held at Technova on February 5 2016 with attendees from 6 parties, NEDO members and an external science monitor.
Presentations on analyses of No.1 co-operational experiment with PS3 sample were made by 6 parties, and development status of each party was reported. Some hot discussions were exchanged on experimental data and future planned works. LRDC will be held in every two months.
We’ve post a few articles on Randell Mills and Brilliant Light Power, formerly Black Light Power and the hydrino theory. If their reported progress is real, Mills and BLP may indeed be the most promising alternative energy to watch.
LENR may be tangental to Mills’ research or perhaps the LENR effect is being confused with the waste heat produced by Mills’ hydrino formation theory. The basic theory is that through a chemical reaction, a hydrogen atom can be altered to a different state where the electron drops into a lower energy state and the resulting excess binding energy is released as light and x-rays which can be harvested through photovoltaic cells.
Tokamak Energy, from Oxfordshire, believes that the third version of their compact, spherical tokamak reactor will be able to reach temperatures of 100 million degrees Celsius by 2020. That’s seven times hotter than the center of the sun and the temperature necessary to achieve fusion.
Tokamak Energy says its technology would be similar in costs to a nuclear fission plant, but without any fissile material and with no risk of meltdown. The company’s CEO, David Kingham, believes it will be possible for his team to transfer energy to the grid by 2030.
Perhaps this is a bit self-serving, but if these statements are true, Tokamak reactors could challenge the current LENR projects vying for commercial success.
On August 25, 2015, Leonardo Corporation (Andrea Rossi) received a patent for a unique fluid heater.LENR theory is not specifically mentioned in it, but the fuel mixture of 50% Nickel powder with grain size 1nm to 100μm,20% Elemental Lithium powder, and 30% Lithium Aluminum Hydride is disclosed.
The world waits to see if LENR and Rossi’s E-Cat and Hot-Cat technology will revolutionize our energy industries for the better. Patent US 9115913 B1
Bob George, CEO, and Robert Godes, President and CTO of Brillouin Energy Corporation, the company in Berkeley California working on their LENR technology with Stanford Research Institute gave a nice interview on the SmartScarecrow show.
Brillouin is an impressive company with a working CECR theory and two products in development. The WET Boiler (Water Electrolytic Tube) is being done at their lab in Berkeley and the HHT (Hydrogen Hot Tube) is being worked on at SRI International in Menlo Park.
Google has allegedly visited their laboratory. What this means remains to be seen as Brillouin admits it is still a year or more from commercial licensing to manufacturers.
“Even by the most conservative assumptions as to the errors in the measurements, the result is still one order of magnitude greater than conventional energy sources.” — Report Abstract
“The results obtained indicate that energy was produced in decidedly higher quantities than what may be gained from any conventional source.” — Report Conclusion
With the results now published, what happens next? How independent are the familiar names of the authors? What is the margin of error? Does this really prove anything?
Read the Full Report and decide for yourself.
Authors: Giuseppe Levi
Bologna University, Bologna, Italy;
Torbjörn Hartman, Bo Höistad,
Roland Pettersson and
Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden;
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden